Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Venting

Apology Consider Distant

for 3WW February 27, 2008
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I chase Kylie
around the house,
play with stickers,
draw pictures, color,
read a Maisy book
and more Maisy
and you ask what’s
for lunch. I give
you a couple choices
to consider
and you decide
on a chicken sandwich.

You are in your recliner
watching a fishing show.
I pull the meat from the bones,
toast the bread,
and make the sandwich.

When I hand it to you,
You say, “No pickles?”
so, I get them
and then you want chocolate milk.
I get a glass, open the fridge,
pour the milk,
squeeze the Hershey’s
in, get a spoon, and stir.

Handing it to you, a little spills
and I offer an apology,
“Sorry ‘bout that.”

Walking away, I add
in my head, Asshole!

Okay, I know it’s your
birthday but, enough already!

Later, when Kylie’s napping
you wonder why I seem
so distant.

I just shake my head
and pick up the crayons,
books, papers, dolls,
Play Dough, necklaces,
your socks,
your magazines,
your wounded ego.

14 comments:

rel said...

Linda,
You make the mundane so interesting.
Even when they get it, men don't really get it do they? ;)

TC said...

LOVED it Linda. Wow.

So spot on.

And the picking up the wounded ego... amazing line.

Anonymous said...

It was his birthday, but I bet that rant is really about everyday. A lot of women will identify with this one. You did make it interesting.

Anonymous said...

Standing in ovation to your marvelous poem!

You told it the way it is. Good for you.

Tumblewords: said...

I so recognize this - from long ago life...now I find my own pickles! Grin. Nice little vent!

paisley said...

first of all,, have i mentioned that my red dogs name is kylie... i just love that name... i call her ky-marina....

this is so full of life.. the petty little doldrums that make it or break it... nothing more or less important than pickles and chocolate milk...

brilliant.....

L said...

Amen, sister!

Jane Doe said...

Men, they just don't get it! I loved this piece, it was very well written and had a great pace to it.

anthonynorth said...

The petty things of life made perfect in words.

little wing writer said...

it's all about love even in the darkest deepest tunnel of everyday life... that was terrific!

Andy Sewina said...

I like the way you just pick everything up - I didn't know that there were still men like that though! This is a good poem to read.

Anonymous said...

The pacing, physical exhaustion and last line rock!! What a great job your vent was! I wish my venting was so talently delivered!

gautami tripathy said...

I can never expect anything less from you. Good going.

lubricating

UL said...

wonderful poem here, Linda, you vent so well :)

Linda's Poems