Wednesday, February 13, 2008

3 Word Wednesday

Girlfriend Imagined Slight

February 13, 2008
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I’m hanging under a parachute
swaying in curls of air.

My feet hang heavy
under my body, weights

full of the rocks
you’ve been throwing

at me for the last couple of weeks.
Like an idiot, I’ve been

catching them, and, now,
I’m so heavy that I’m falling

faster than the air
can stop me. The chute

helps and slows me slightly,
as 36 years of commitment should,

but the ground is looming.
Briefly, I imagined

you waiting to catch me
in a trampoline

but that image faded
quickly and here I am

in an air elevator, dropping.
I’m just an aging girl,

friendless, now that you’ve
strapped that parachute

on my back and pushed
me out of the plane.

12 comments:

paisley said...

this is a sad poem.. falling friendless aging.. me... i am so glad i found you.. or you me.. or whatever.......

myrtle beached whale said...

very powerful indeed. you need a hug.

TC said...

*hugs*

This was really sad. I'd say you probably have a right to feel somewhat sorry for yourself.

Take care.

Tumblewords: said...

I hate when that happens but I love the words you used. Nice post!!

Truefaith1963 said...

Oh thats so sad! Having a parachute suggests a glimmer of hope to me - at least you're not free-falling. Nice write.

UL said...

oh Linda, you tugged my heart away and it's weeping, hope you will be caught befor you land, I know you will be, may all your dreams come true.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

dammit this is good and pissed me off all at the same time. emotional investment is the term i'm looking for...

give me your latitude and longitude and i'll get the trampoline ready. (hug)

Anonymous said...

Tugs. However, one needs to pick up and get going. No other way.

questions

Anonymous said...

yes, a very sad but very good write. I always enjoy your stuff so much, Linda.....I like how you get the emotion in there.

L said...

I can relate.....sucks doesn't it. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Can relate also. But refuse to believe that aging/friendless/sexless go together

Aging, though it doesn't always feel that way, is usually a lot better than the alternative

little wing writer said...

oh man, that's a painful read... swaying in curls of air... pushed me outta plane... 36 years of commitment should.. where's my hankie...hate to admit it that's almost too close for comfort... you expressed it so well... freedom comes in many different forms... i wish you well

Linda's Poems