Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fridge Space

Sunday Scribblings February 10, 2008
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Strawberries

I saw them in the fruit
drawer, strawberries
red and freckled.

Left by my son’s
girlfriend after
their last visit.

Each day a splash
of summer in the snow
white fridge.

I kept meaning
to eat them, let their
sun shine in my mouth.

But a banana
doesn’t need to be washed
and trimmed

so I opted for the easy
and left the berries
to turn cloudy.

I saw those little mice
growing but I
left them there

and I have no idea why.
This weekend
Nathan and Amie

came to visit again
this time bringing
blackberries and blueberries.

I saw her open
the storage bin
and pause, wrinkle

her face, then reach
in, remove those gray
snowballs, and throw

them away. My face turned
as red as those strawberries
once were.

9 comments:

myrtle beached whale said...

you are as lazy as I am. enjoyed the verse.

Anonymous said...

Nice poem. I will always see little mice when I see furry strawberries in my fridge in future!

Anonymous said...

We always reach for the easy foods.


Spaced Out

rel said...

Linda,
I hope you ate the dark berries to save face. ;)
rel

Anonymous said...

this always happens to me!
and there are some loverly lines in there; nice work :)

Tumblewords: said...

Ach. I know exactly how that happens and I know the shade of embarrassed red. Excellent post!!

paisley said...

damn it,, and that is the kind of thing she will remember about you forever... i am so guilty tho... i tried gardening this year,, and left most of my crop to rot in the fridge.....

Heather said...

Excellent verse! I can just feel your pain. Of course, I've been there myself. lol

Great job!

anthonynorth said...

A whole new meaning to convenience food :-)

Linda's Poems