Monday, February 18, 2008

An Ode

For ReadWritePoem February 18, 2008
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ode to My Legs

Scissors
when I walk
cutting the black
material of night.

Fence posts
guarding my estate.
I can open them
or keep them locked shut.

Sculptured
furniture legs
curving slender
holding up
the table
of my body.

Tree trunks
growing from the roots
of genetics
tall and strong.

Rubber bands
connecting hips
to feet,
stretching, bending.

Legs
just legs
when I get in bed
and braid them
with his warm ones.

13 comments:

L said...

very nice, i like "tree trunks growing from the roots of genetics tall and strong".

paisley said...

this was so clever.. all the possible imagery was there and came thru loud and clear... loved it....

Anonymous said...

Very imaginative-chock full of metaphors. Great! This poem has legs :)

Anonymous said...

Linda, reading your poems is a lesson in itself. I would like o be one of your students.

ode for convoluted crevices

anthonynorth said...

You make your legs come alive.
Magic.

M as in Mint said...

Kudos to the love & logic in your poem! i enjoyed the read.

chicklegirl said...

Just loved the second stanza, the formality of it almost at odds with the subject matter. This was so clever and enjoyable to read.

Whitesnake said...

You left me legless.......I mean speechless...
Fantastic!

Andy Sewina said...

What wonderful legs you've got!

Deb said...

Terrific. I enjoyed every stanza and was completley smitten by the last one.

totomai said...

indeed a clever poem for legs. loved each metaphors. thanks for the read

Anonymous said...

That first stanza had me hooked! This must be love for the legs, else how would you have known all the different sides of them?

UL said...

this was superb Linda, every time I come here following a prompt link, I never wanna leave!

Linda's Poems