Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day 5 NaPoWriMo and Writer's Island

Lost Highway
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


The snow was baby powder
swirling around my 4-Runner.

I didn’t bother with putting
the four-wheel drive on

since the road was clear.
I was on my way to babysit

my three-month old granddaughter
and as I descended through

the notch, I could feel my heart
beating a little faster

as if I were going on a date.
With just a mile to go

I hit black ice and I was on
a carnival ride, curving

into the oncoming lane,
swerving back to mine,

not being able to straighten out,
aiming for a spot between

a telephone pole and a snow bank
opting for a ditch, instead.

Hands on wheel
I don’t want to do this
I just want to see Kylie
Down into the ditch
Upside down
Rightside up
Hands still on wheel
Stuff everywhere
I’m alive
Unhurt, I think

Later, after the ambulance
came and they checked me out

after my daughter picked me up
and I convinced her to go to work

after calling my husband
and the insurance company,

I sat with Kylie in my arms
breathing in the baby powder

scent of new life.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, is this true? If so, I hope you're okay (hugs). You did a great job on the write, very dramatic, not a word too many, unnerving. Lovely ending, perfect.

paisley said...

i swear to f*ing god you can write a piece of beautiful poetry out of any thing... i am so glad to hear you are alright,,, and i am jealous you can make a car accident sound like the disney on ice....

Rambler said...

hey take care..
I agree with Paisley..you can make such wonderful poetry of anything, great talent

anthonynorth said...

You prove that all of life is art.

Head Cookie said...

Wow and ouch come to mind. What a great piece. Good to know you are okay. Ilove how you say the snow was like baby powder swirling around you and how it ended so well with baby Kylie in your arms smelling of baby powder terrific.

Tumblewords: said...

Great comparisons between the snow and baby powder - desire and fear - relief and hugs. Stay safe(r)!

Anonymous said...

as others mentioned the powder/powder is really nice

it is heart stopping at times!

and that feeling of another moment with that child--when you thought for a moment there may not be another...wow

glad all came out ok

Linda's Poems