Thursday, April 10, 2008

Day 10 and TOP

Mythology
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was explaining
how Danae’s father
imprisoned her in a tower
because he’d heard
that her son
would someday kill him.

But tricky Zeus
disguised himself
as a golden rain
and got her pregnant,
anyway.

I could see my students
trying to picture this:
eyes squinted
sidelong glances
at each other,
wrinkled foreheads.

Finally one brave kid
said, “Gee Ms. Jacobs,
sounds like Zeus
forgot his Trojan.”

13 comments:

Jo said...

Oh I am howling here, this is wonderful, so pithy. Is it true?

Crafty Green Poet said...

I can see your students too, well told story

christine said...

That's perfect! What a response. Out of the mouths of babes... :)

my backyard said...

This made me laugh. Great spin on a myth!

paisley said...

love it!!! there goes the myth of safe sex huh.....

Pauline said...

Those kids don't myth a thing, do they...

Leigh Lear said...

nice!!

tumblewords said...

Oh, too funny! Too funny!

anthonynorth said...

Loved that. And if you go into many Zeus myths, it gets even more sexual.

said...

Wasn't expecting that finale. Good stuff; a little levity with a weighty prompt like mythology...

Aareet Krsna said...

Hahaha awesome ending!
It's impressive how you manage to relate the myth with such levity

gautami tripathy said...

Linda, you made my day!

:D

slithering snakes

Leonard Blumfeld said...

Very clever!

Linda's Poems