Tuesday, April 6, 2010

NaPoWriMo #6: Picture

I have a collection of US Postage stamps.  This one brought back a memory from 1992.









Sunset Beach
ocean on one side
fruit vendor on the other.

We stop
my mother-in-law and I.
She wants pineapple

to take back
to New Hampshire.
The owner says

he’ll set us up .
He arranges six in a box.
When we get back

to our rented house,
we unpack them
to make sure they’re good.

They aren’t.
The back sides are rotten.
We return

to the vendor
but Mr. Hippie Pony Tail
won’t take them back.

“Fine, I’ll just sit here
all day and show people
what you tried to sell us.

He takes them back,
gives us our money
and we head to the Dole Plantation.

2 comments:

flaubert said...

Funny! Poor mister ponytail!
Pamela

Rallentanda said...

A plantation for unemployed people?
If ever I have been stranded on the road hippies have always come to my rescue...so I have a soft spot for them.

Linda's Poems