Saturday, March 14, 2009

Revision for Totally Optional Prompts

Casting a Spell 11/1/05

What is it about words
that attract me
like fish to bait?

What tasty morsels
words are.
I can’t resist
nibbling at them,

taking bites
and chewing, chewing,
chomping
on their flavors.

Each one is different
in size and shape
so they are never boring.
I savor them
on my tongue
then swallow
and feel their richness
paint the walls
of my esophagus.

As I digest
each meaning,
I thank the witch
who cast
the fishing line
with the wordy worm
on the hook.



The Revision 3/14/09

Words are like bait
on a fishing line

tempting morsels
I chomp, chomp

and get hooked on.
But who is the fisherman

who dangles those words
so enticing? And do I mind

getting caught? Oh, there’s
another one meandering

around in the ocean
of my brain. I open

my mouth and swallow,
hooked again.

5 comments:

Giggles said...

Oh Dear Linda I love you and your poetry!! You took the words right out of my mouth....both poems are brilliant...two close to my heart! I love the way you bounce words like a ball, running after each idea with glee!

Thanks for making me smile!

Hugs Giggles

Anonymous said...

Linda! stop by my blog (sat, 3/14 entry) for a "surprise!"

Jill said...

These are cute. I love them.

Philip Thrift said...

A poem is never finished, only abandoned.
Paul Valery
French critic & poet (1871 - 1945)
[ http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26986.html ]

Nice hook, linking words and bait!

And it's not only the spoken words, to me, but written ones: the shape of letters themselves, the spellings and misspellings (i.e., the puns), the fonts, the layout on the page, and those pesky punctuations!

Felicity said...

I really can't decide which one I like more.
Both are brilliant.

Linda's Poems