Saturday, March 7, 2009

Listen Up for Sunday Scribblings

Listen Up; This Is Important

Your essay is due
on Thursday.
Period.

(Girl in back of room is hunting for something in her purse)

Even if you are absent,
you still have to
get it here.

(Boy gets up to blow his nose)

Have a parent
or a friend
bring it in

or you can
email it to me
as an attachment.

(Boy and girl eye each other, mouth sweet nothings, smile)

Also, you must have it
printed out
when you come to class.

I don’t want it
on a jump drive.
Figure out a way

to get it printed
before you get
here.

(Girl in first row combs her hair)

Don’t wait
until Wednesday night
to write it

and then realize
you have computer
or printer issues.

(Intercom interrupts: Please send so-and-so to the office)

No excuses
will be accepted.
Even if you

are in the hospital,
you must still
find a way

to get it
here by
2:30.

(Several students begin packing up to go)

If you die,
I expect
you will have made

back-up
arrangements
for its submission.

(Teacher looks out
classroom window
and sees fat snowflakes
falling like disjointed
words on deaf ears)

23 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Ah, 'tis often so. Enjoyed that.

Anonymous said...

LOL:-) Nice read.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I've always hated the idea of teaching teenagers; now I know why. Cleverly done.

Rosey said...

Ah, the joys of teaching! My class of 9 year olds are no easier.

Anonymous said...

Took me back to when I was at school - except for the email attachment!Excellent.

Anonymous said...

Linda, forgot say thanks for pointing out my invisible comments. It's now corrected.

Sherri B. said...

lol...this one made me laugh. I especially loved, "If you die, I expect back-up arrangements." Great read! :~)

Anonymous said...

oh no, but it's snowing! that could possibly mean no school day! then how will they get it to you?

Tumblewords: said...

I don't know how you do it. My patience is fairly limited. Or less. :) Good post.

Lucy said...

TEACHERS ARE SO PATIENT AND DEDICATED AND .....STRICT!!! haha
what is a jump drive?

Anonymous said...

you create such images... just love them !!!

totomai said...

lol. brough back school memories. :-)

Jeeves said...

Is teaching fun or difficult? Like this one

Anonymous said...

if I die
I think I'll
still
want to send
the print out right
to you with
my very own hand

do you mind?

:lOl:

Anonymous said...

Hehe I liked the bit about plans if they die! And I bet they still didn't listen :)

Bee Bee said...

I found the poem very funny. But on second thoughts, I realize this is how every student in this world behaves.

Thanks for stopping by

Anonymous said...

I WILL get it to you, even if I die. DEAD good poem!!!

Lucy said...

hi again Linda.. I don't have your email address .. but I wanted to get back to you about your comment... what I am talking about is ... sitemeter.com
it keeps track of who visits you and will keep a tally of how many visitors have come to your blog.. If you go to the very bottom of my page u will see the number and you can click it.
email me if u need more info!

Jennifer Hicks said...

wow. you had me listening. great job!

Beek said...

What seems like deaf ears might be the wrong take. I had an English teacher in high school that your post reminded me of, and to this day I blame him for my love of reading and writing.

ChefDruck said...

This really took me in the scene. Funny, yet sad. Very well written.

susan said...

Oh, you missed your bus and what happened? Where's the book you owe me?

So and so did what? And what does that have to do with not bring the book back?


I had to laugh at myself. I care, I really do. And I want my freakin' books back.

The kids no I'm not tryin' to hear it. Return it or I'll hunt you down. lol

Enjoyed this. Thanks, Linda.

By the way, did I tell they call me Ms. B? It took me awhile to realize how one could interpret my last name initial. ;->

Beth Camp said...

This reminds me of a phone call I got from a student who was in the hospital. Her baby came early, but she wanted me to know her husband was dropping off her paper -- on time! Ah, school days! Nice post.

Linda's Poems