Thursday, November 29, 2007

3WW for Nov 28 Afford, Cigarette, Dim

3WW for November 28, 2007

afford cigarette dim
--------------------------------------------

That cigarette smell
slid into the house
like death
as soon as you
opened the door
last night.

It wrapped itself
around me
like a shroud.

You claim
you don’t smoke
but that it clings
to your clothes
when you stop
to visit your buddy
after work.

Somewhere in the dim
corners of my heart
I want to believe you,
so I do.

But how much longer
can I afford
to ignore the doubts.

You hurried down to the cellar
to leave
your reeking clothes
near the laundry

and when you
came back
upstairs
you didn’t kiss me
but instead
went into the bathroom
to brush your teeth.

7 comments:

Jujee said...

It's not that he is lying about smoking. It's the fact that he is lying...not helpful in relationships at all.

TC said...

I agree... it's that he's lying, not that he's smoking.

And that brushing his teeth thing does speak volumes.

TC said...

P.S. I don't want to be the one to tell you but... your last link didn't work either :( I got here through your profile though :)

Bone said...

Hey. I'm going to try to paste how you can do the link to your post from now on. We'll see if this works. Just copy and paste the following:

<a href="http://lindaspoetry.blogspot.com/2007/11/three-word-wednesday_29.html">My entry</a>

Anonymous said...

lying never works. I think

gautami tripathy said...

Take it this way.At least he was considerate. He brushed his teeth.

poefusion said...

Lying about something in a relationship is never good. Without sounding preachy here, I hope you can have a talk with him and let him no your concerns.

Gautami, you speak a kind truth.

Have a nice weekend, Linda.

Linda's Poems