Friday, November 30, 2007

Flip the Bird

Totally Optional Prompt for November 29th

I had a hard time with this prompt. I rarely write about animals; somehow, they just don't resonate with me. Finally, today, while my students were journal writing, I came up with this one. Anyway, for what it's worth...
--------------------------------------

Flip the Bird

I’m the bird
you stepped
on one
morning.

Was it my fault
you clipped
my wings
so I had to walk

everywhere?
It was morning,
time to get up
and open

the curtains
and where
were you?
In bed.

I was on my way
to wake
you up
but the doorbell

beat me to it
and when you
jumped
out of bed,

your foot
landed
right on my back.
Sure, I hissed

at you
every time
you came
near me

after that.
Do you blame
me? You’d
be upset, too,

if someone
not only hurt you,
but took away your
ability to fly.

What if someone
took your pens and papers
away
and you couldn’t

write anymore?
You’d hiss
at the world,
too.

10 comments:

sister AE said...

Hi, Linda,
I'm here to help you with leaving a link to a single post.

On your blog, on the left is the blog archive. If you click on the title of the entry you want (such as "Flip the Bird" for this one), you will get a page that has just this entry on it.

Now go to the top of the window, and you can copy the full link name from there, starting with "http" and likely ending with "html"

Hope this helps.

gautami tripathy said...

You did rather well with that poem. I like the questions asked in it.

gautami

Dennis said...

This was intriguing and left me with questions. I like poetry that does that. I enjoyed this.

Jo said...

I enjoyed it too and would love to know the story.

Crafty Green Poet said...

this works very well.

Linda Jacobs said...

There really isn't much more to the story. Flip just hated me after that incident. He never forgot and every time I'd even look at him, he'd hiss at me. And I'm the one who thought up his perfect name, too. (My husband was so jealous that I came up with it since it's more up his alley.) We had to decide whether to keep him caged up or clip his wings and let him wander around the house. We owned a motel and people were always coming in so we couldn't take a chance of letting him fly out the open door. He was really my husband and duaghter's bird.

Anyway, for this poem, I tried to put myself in his "shoes" to help me feel some sympathy for him. It sort of worked! I hate to speak ill of the dead, but...

Deb said...

I liked what you did with the perspective & language. Good answer to the question.

Andy Sewina said...

I like the way you use Flip's voice to tell the story.

Yours truly Mason said...

i love the way you have the bird telling the story and his opion on how humans live

Unknown said...

this seems deeper to me than it really makes out to be. and somehow, this reminds me a bit of my fat cat, tigas (pronounced similar to cigar). because where i go, my cat goes and there's been many an accident were i clipped his tail white i walked. poor little buddy. ^-^' anyways, i absolutely love this poem. it sticks out in your list of poems for me. it's just... different. and i like it.
~Moriah

Linda's Poems