Monday, December 17, 2007

Words from a Novel

Read.Write.Poem for December 17, 2007

For this prompt we had to take the last noun or verb from several chapters in a book that we love. I chose To Kill a Mockingbird and picked the following words from the fist eleven chapters which is the first section of the book: house, thing, blankets, laughing, lawyer, hear, face, said, word, gentleman, paper.

The thing about poetry
is the laughing
my heart feels like doing
whenever I transform
ordinary sheets of paper
into blankets of words.

Oh, sure, a lawyer
might argue
that it’s still paper
and, as nice a gentleman
as he is, he has no idea
that every time I write
a poem, I’m really building
a house
where feelings live,
a shelter for bruised
emotions.

He can’t hear
the music
a poem makes
or the prayers
that are said
in whispers

and he certainly
can’t hear
the laughter.

8 comments:

Andy Sewina said...

The music, the laughter, blankets of words - how comforting. Wonderful stuff!

Tammy Brierly said...

Yes! "Where feelings live." Enjoyed the flow and ideas. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

A poem as a vessel for the soul -nice concept!

gautami tripathy said...

In our poetry we put something about us. We are building it around our emotions.

Great words!

better judgement

claireylove said...

With an opening like that you couldn't go wrong ~ great stuff :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I so loved this, the book has always been one of my favs and you used the words so well, poetry is indeed an integral part of each of us that is ripped apart and printed on paper, the only piece that can be shared/ripped. Thank you.

UL

susan said...

I don't laugh as often as I would like. This made me laugh. Thanks for the read.

Jo said...

The idea behind this is perfect, and beautifully executed. I really like your poetry, Linda, really like it.

Linda's Poems