Monday, December 10, 2007

Sestina

Playing with line lengths for Read.Write.Poem December 10, 2007

I hit the refresh button six times on the Read.Write.Poem site and took the words from the prompt generator to write a sestina. I normally write short lines so these long ones were different for me. I actually had fun writing this even with loganberry!

ache veneer bone loganberry discard bust
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Into each day must fall a piece of ache
that eats down through the veneer
of our lives straight to the bone.
It might only be the size of a loganberry
but it is something that we must not discard
nor is it something that we can hope to bust

apart. Sorrow is a punch in the bust,
a kick in the balls, a toothache.
It’s a teen’s razor blade you want to discard
but you know she’ll still find a way to cut her veneer,
make it bleed as red as a loganberry,
to find her pain, scrape a bone.

A hurt is emptiness like taking away a dog’s bone,
like cutting off the torso of Shakespeare’s bust;
it’s as unsatisfying as eating an unripe loganberry.
But we all have them, these daily aches.
They carve their initials in our veneer.
They come with a tag that reads, “Do not discard.”

Oh, sure, it seems like it would be great if we could discard
all the little annoyances that bug us to the bone
but then, we’d be nothing but veneer,
a shell of air that anyone or anything could bust,
leaving us scattered, little shards of ache
left to rot on the ground like dead loganberries.

That’s why I had to help Logan bury
the evidence of the sin he wanted to discard.
I could have turned him in, causing him a big ache
but, instead, I dug a hole and covered the bones,
and prayed that we wouldn’t get bust-
ed. Now my smile is but a veneer

like the grass over the grave is a veneer
hiding the truth of what lies near the loganberry
bush. My heart still beats under my bust
but the guilt is something I cannot discard.
He took a life, turned flesh to bone.
I wanted his love but, in return, got only his ache.

I let him crack my veneer, pull out my soul, and discard
it like a shriveled loganberry. All this for a bon-
er. I take a knife to my bust. I bleed and ache.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Logan bury and loganberry, wow! Really enjoyed this sestina.. thank you.

UL

gautami tripathy said...

I only tried a sestina once. I like yours.

I tried a paradelle:
scientifically insane

paisley said...

wow.. this was wonderful.. i am impresssed by the sese of simplicity you were able to impart to this style.. i just recently tried one for the first time,, and although i am happy with the outcome,, there was no feel of lightness in verse like i found here... do you mind if i share the link with you and see what you think????

"fuerzas irresistibles"

Linda's Poems