Monday, December 17, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: On the Road Again

I got home from school
late one evening last week
and my husband
had our stereo on.
We have a stack
of old records
and he had Willy Nelson’s
“On the Road Again” playing.

I put my book bag and purse
down and he snuck
up behind me, spun me around
and we started to dance
and giggle.

He gave me a rum drink
he’d prepared
and when “Mama, Don’t Let
Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys”
came on we sang
and danced
and danced again.

And the night
swirled around us
silky and smooth
while the day melted
from my shoulders
and the years turned
into black discs
with the power
to transform.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post.
Funny thing - when I was pregnant I listened to Willy Nelson all the time.
My daughter was born on the 30th of April - Willie's birthday!
Thanks for sharing

myrtle beached whale said...

you have to like Willie Nelson. "Angel Flying Too Close To the Ground" and "You Were Always on My Mind" are two of my favorites.

Crafty Green Poet said...

sounds like a wonderful evening!

susan said...

Enjoyed this. And I knew at least one tune for sure.

Tumblewords: said...

A beautiful night!

Jo said...

oh, the last four lines or so, wow! Very good this.

little wing writer said...

ohhhh, that this dance would last forever...

Linda's Poems