Thursday, December 6, 2007

Road Signs

For totally Optional Prompts December 6, 2007

Road Signs

There we were
tootling along
the marriage highway
like Pac Man
chewing up
those dots
one after
another.

Oh, sure,
there were yield
signs
where we had
to compromise

and detours
around
our problems.

There were rest
stop vacations
to Florida
and St. Thomas
and Hawaii

but we hung
on even around
sharp curves
and construction
sites.

Not once
did we hit
a red light
or stop sign

until now.
There up ahead
is a yellow
light
and I’m starting
to put the brakes on,
taking it off cruise
control,
slowing down,
slower,
slow.

“Go right through it”
you say
and in a split second
I decide…

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A neat & witty extended metaphor.

Andy Sewina said...

Wow, life is not easy, sometimes...

Tumblewords: said...

Clever and wise! Good ride!

Lisa said...

Oh my, Linda! I just read your entire poetry blog and I am tongue-tied! Speechless in the glow of your beautiful words!! Wow!
Thanks for the nice compliments over at my place! You make me feel so good. :)

Anonymous said...

I like the way it begins and I like the way it ends. The filling's not bad either.

gautami tripathy said...

We can all relate with this...


rooted

Rob Kistner said...

Whta did you decide? I'm curious to know...

Interesting perspective on slow growing apathy that can nudge at a long relationship. Well written.

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful. I like the tension with the last line.

Rose

xo

paisley said...

some times a bump in the road is exactly what we need to be set back on course.... this was so well done....

susan said...

Oh been there, done that. Enjoyed the metaphor.

Jo said...

Very clever, Linda, very well done.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Clever and very well, done, though I admit I want to know your decision, as well.
Mad Kane

Rethabile said...

You decided to step on it, right? Original.

Anonymous said...

Very clever way to respond to the prompt. witty and light hearted (^_-)

... decided to roll it over if necessary, aye.

Crafty Green Poet said...

very clever and yes I too want to know the decision...

Linda's Poems