Monday, December 3, 2007

Three parts of My Life

Three Parts of My Life for Read.Write.Poem December 3, 2007
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Today
I will go to school
(Hon, can you make a deposit
for me on your way to school?)
and teach a lesson
on The Canterbury Talesto my British Literature students.
(What did I get for a sandwich
today?)
I’ll lead a discussion
of symbolism
in Catcher in the Ryewith my tenth-graders.
(What do you think
we’ll be having
for supper tonight?)
And in third block
we’ll continue
our study of advertising
gimmicks.

After school
I’ll go home
and put some chicken
in the oven
then turn
on my laptop
to check
this week’s prompt
at Read.Write.Poem.

And the day will spiral
into a whirlpool
of words
that swirl and jump
in my brain
like number balls
in a lottery
bubble
and the lucky ones
will slide
down the chute
of my arm,
through my fingers,
and onto the screen
arranging themselves
into a poem.

(Ode to Joy trills
from my cell phone.
“I’m on my way
home.”)
I’ll peel a couple
of potatoes
and put them on
to boil
then rush back
to the computer
to post my poem.
I’ll pour a glass
of merlot
and read other
poets’ entries.
(The diesel engine
of his truck
pulls into
the driveway.)

I’ll reluctantly
close my computer,
mash the potatoes,
make small talk,
correct papers,
then go to bed
and dream
of plaiting
my hair
into one long
braid.

11 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I like the three parts of your life. As a teacher I identify with it somewhat!

gautami

sister AE said...

Ah! another multi-tasker. This is great and I love the idea of poetry as the results of a lucky mental lottery.

Christine Swint said...

Your lilting, flowing poem makes all these activities stream together. I like how you ended with a long braid, a reflection of the poem itself, and the disparate elements of your life you weave together. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Self-reflexive pieces don't usually work for me, but this one does. I think the braid at the end was the clincher. Well done.

susan said...

well done! great pacing, tone and images. thanks for the read.

Carolee said...

i love how this is a give and take, a dialogue with your day. wonderful!

Jo said...

As usual, Linda, great job. I love that braid image, it sung to me!!!

Andy Sewina said...

Thanks for writing this, students don't know how busy a teachers life can be. The way you fit it all in is poetry!

Giggles said...

I love all the thought trickled throughout! Wonderful thread of words.

I see you too are a scrabbler...do you play at wordbiz1.8?

Peace Giggles

paisley said...

this was very well done... a slice of real life...

AscenderRisesAbove said...

it sounds like a joyfully rich life!


ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress

Linda's Poems