Monday, January 5, 2009

Poetry Train #9: Horoscope

Horoscope

Aquarius (Feb 21, 2006)
When the whimsical Dr. Seuss quipped, “There is no one alive who is Youer than You,” he most certainly was talking about an Aquarius. Your originality is even more original tonight.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Me? Original?
I’ve always been vanilla.
I’ve always been soft mashed potatoes.
I’m a pillow of marshmallow.
Outside, anyway.
It’s only when I write a poem
that vanilla turns into Chunky Monkey,
Cherry Garcia, & New York Super Fudge Chunk.
And those potatoes
are mashed
with garlic and cheese
and that marshmallow
is on a stick
being cooked over a fire
and it’s flaming.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I like food and poetry (as I think you already know *wink*). The way you liken your outsides to "plain vanilla" or other *soft* white foods and show the strong change for revealing your insides via poetry to varied flavors and spiced with all sorts of facets to chew over, is scrumptious.

Love that quote you used for the preface.

anthonynorth said...

This was different, and so enjoyable.
I think your individuality is intact ;-)

Anonymous said...

An 'original' metaphor for writing a poem. Loved it.

gautami tripathy said...

Now that I loved. It reads like song!

*grin*

Sherri B. said...

This describes me perfectly! From mashed potatoes to Chunky Monkey...how absolutely clever this is.

floreta said...

wow, what a great analogy. i loved this!! poem as indulgence, pleasure, YUMMY! 32 flavors or more :)

Andy Sewina said...

Love this, don't know what food I'd be but enjoyed the buffies, than-you very much, sometimes I must go round with my eyes closed. Chunky monkey sounds cool!

Jeeves said...

Love this!!!!A true aquarian.

Tumblewords: said...

So clever and full of imagery that rocks! You Aquarians are so cool!

Anonymous said...

I really REALLY like this one. The images, the rhythm, something. It works ... beautifully.

(and I've been trying some poetry lately and I just. can't. get. the. rhythm. or. the. impact.

Kudos to you!

Linda's Poems