Sunday, December 9, 2007

Competition

This week’s prompt for Sunday Scribblings is Competition
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Spelling Bee

Sister Alexander stood
in front of our sixth-grade class,
small face,
black olive eyes
mustache like a caterpillar.

We students,
split in half,
lined each side
of the room,
boys in slacks,
button-down shirts,
and string ties.
girls in skirts,
blouses
with new bras
showing through,
and knee socks.

There was a magnet
over there and his name
was Paul Daley;
my eyes just couldn’t
stop resting
on his freckled face
and crew cut.

Slowly, one after another,
words were flung
at the students.
You could see those words
hit them right in the face.
Their eyes would widen
and they’d throw letters
back at the teacher
who would shake her head.
And one after another,
they’d shrug
and sit down.

Eventually, there was only me
and Paul Daley left.
A word would zip to Paul
and he’d spell it correctly;
another would fly to me
and I’d do the same.
Back and forth
Him and me
Him and me

The way I’d been dreaming
ever since third grade
when the sky
of his eyes
turned the sun
in my chest
to butter.

Finally, Sister Alexander
said, “colony”
and I could see
the letters
lining up in my head.
Paul went first
“C O L L O N Y”

A few of the other students gasped
and he knew.
Now, all I had to do
was spell it correctly.
“C O L”
I glanced at Paul.
When had he gotten
so much taller than me?
I saw a cloud
dim the blue;
his smile
flat-lined.
“O N N Y.”

The next word
didn’t matter.
Paul knew it;
I did (n’t).

The boys
cheered him
as I took my seat
amid the understanding
groans
of the girls.

And I sat there,
the stones
from Sister Alexander’s eyes
rattling around
in the shell
of my brain.

15 comments:

paisley said...

we certainly learn at an early age that everything is sacrificable for "love" don't we????

Anonymous said...

I almost posted about a spelling bee experience, too. :-)

What we won't give up for true love... (I'd give up a lot of things, but the spelling bee was never one of them! LOL!)

Mine's up. Come visit me!

http://lorivillarreal.typepad.com/do_you_realize/

Jo said...

Now this I really got (isn't that a damn shame). A great poem and a greater insight into being a girl in school (I've done similar many times). I love the last few lines about the nun!

Rob Kistner said...

Love the piece... however, I think you should have kicked his butt! ;)

lissa said...

Is this a real memory? I really like this part"The way I’d been dreaming
ever since third grade
when the sky
of his eyes
turned the sun
in my chest
to butter."

It sure sums like her feelings.

Granny Smith said...

Wow! This is such a wonderful insight into the psychology of adolescent girls and beautifully expressed in your poem

tickledpink.nicole said...

Different teacher, same experience. No amount of dirty looks ever helped improve my spelling.

Mad Kane said...

I enjoyed your story-poem!
Mad Kane

Forgetfulone said...

Wow! I loved your poem. Your metaphors are fabulous.

susan said...

A disturbing write about a pattern we learn early and one we sometimes never learn to break. Love doesn't ask us to diminish ourselves, but our desire for love fuels our decision to do so.

S.L. Corsua said...

An entertaining narrative poem. I chuckled at the description of the teacher, especially at the mention of the caterpillar (heehee). "when the sky of his eyes turned the sun in my chest to butter" is a memorable line, reminiscent of the innocence of the very young.

Cheers.

Jessica R. said...

What a great poem!
I'm glad you stopped by my blog so I could discover yours!

June said...

Yessir, love or something like it can make us do just about anything.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this, school competitions esp. against the boys...bring on a multitude of feelings and you have captired it all. Thank you.
UL

Birdsword said...

this is an amazing line:
"And I sat there,
the stones
from Sister Alexander’s eyes
rattling around
in the shell
of my brain."

I am glad I read your poem!

Linda's Poems