Sunday, January 9, 2011

Walk in the Park for Sunday Scribblings

Coincidentally, I heard that phrase Thursday afternoon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dentist's chair
all bibbed
he walks in
says,

“The two repairs
we're doing today
will be a walk
in the park.”

Phew! No pain.
Two sticks
sticking out
of my mouth

numbing
the needle sites.
First shot
in the font.

Ow! It goes on
and on.
A tear runs down
my cheek,

Second shot
in a fattier area
muscles tight
he pulls

and pulls
my cheek
for thirty
seconds.

While the Novocain
works on that one
he fixes
the first

“Is the second one
numb yet?” “No.”
Another shot.
drill,suction, air

drool, hanging thing.
When I leave I go
for a real walk
in the park.

13 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Ah, a horror story :-)
Nicely done, though.

Jingle said...

breathe taking lines.
well done.

Glad to see you take a real walk in the park to relax in the end,,,

Dee Martin said...

I always wonder, what makes someone decide to be a dentist...I think they would be the perfect characters for serial killer stories lol

(Don't tell my brother-in-law. He's an orthodontist!)

This was well written enough that you had me cringing....

Kodjo Deynoo said...

Need to see a dentist, still mastering the courage to, I enjoy your flow

Lilibeth said...

Just makes me shiver. I have horror stories about a dentist visit...and yet, they are trying to help...and do sometimes so I shouldn't feel so awful about it. If we have much future left I think we will look at old dentist drills and chairs and shake our heads at the crude methods and pain we once went through.

TMTW said...

He should have said, "a walk in the park while being chased by rabid dogs and shot with pointy arrows."

Old Egg said...

Lucky the person who finds a dentist who is not a pain!

flaubert said...

Linda, I would definitely prefer a walk in the park. I have a great dentist, but when she says it will only be a pinch. I know it is a lie.
You managed to put me right in the scene. Well done.
Pamela

Josie Two Shoes said...

Yikes! I could realate too well to this post! Beware when doctors or dentists say "a walk in the park" or "slight discomfort"! Glad you survived the ordeal. I have more dental work to be done and am definitely dreading it. Just knock me out... please!

Nanka said...

Been there done that quite a few times and agree that it is no walk in the park!!

Jae Rose said...

Ow - you made me feel like I was in that chair too -particularly when the tear ran down your cheek! (poor thing)..I hope that walk in the park after helped shake it off..Jae

Berowne said...

Been there, done that. Well written.

Lucy said...

awww Linda! OUCH! that was NO walk in the park!

Linda's Poems