Monday, May 5, 2008

Sci-Fi for ReadWritePoem

I tried a sonnet using the rhyming words. That felt like sci-fi to me!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From our front window here on the moon, Earth is visible.
We see it out there in space like it’s on a stage.
Hubby watches TV and I grab a pencil to scribble
a poem, thinking about this life we’ve made in our old age.

When we lived on earth, we were exciting: lots of touching,
miles of conversation, subtle surprises, fingers
trailing up and down arms and legs, fetching
eyes soft as suede and glances wild as tigers.

Each evening we’d have a few drinks, avoid buzzkill
with brandy for dessert, take the remote on a joyride
through channels and never realized that our life was on a downhill
slide. Then, we came here where there is never high tide,

where yawning craters mimic us. I dream of a way to harpoon
our former life. Instead, we turn to Turner Classic Movies and watch High Noon.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "Yawning crate mimic us". Being on Earth is best thing that happened to us!

paisley said...

when it is read,, the rhyme doesn't interfere with a thing.. you did a great job... i am nooooo good at sonnets,, so i can especially feel for you on putting this together...

what subject matter too... i am not going to the moon,, i don't care if the planet does blow up, i am staying right here!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go to the moon. :)

anthonynorth said...

The moon would be great for a holiday. But without plenty to occupy you, kicking dust would soon get boring.
Loved how you handled this!

Bridal Magic said...

I love sonnets and this one is so much different than what I've read. I really like the technique you've used with the rhyming words. I had to read it through twice and more carefully to catch it! Great work!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like the ending to this, how similarthings have stayed despite moving to the moon...

Anonymous said...

not only is the rhyme skillful enough to "blend in" but i love this: "I dream of a way to harpoon
our former life."

Anonymous said...

I think this is great, Linda, I like how you took a good idea and worked it. True you.

Anonymous said...

wonderful! how creative, to imagine a couple's life on the moon. i love the second stanza, with the memories of their love life on earth.

Anonymous said...

awesome linda... it is the sorta letter/poem that our kids find when we'e gone searching through old papers.. we were exciting... the best thing abt a remote is the power it gives one... just another joyride to turner classics... yeah!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you for reading my poem and leaving comments. I throughly enjoyed your SciFi Sonnet!

Linda's Poems