Friday, October 26, 2007

TOP prompt for Oct. 25, 2007: If She Tilts

Horse

In its stall stands the 19th century,
its hide a hot shudder of satin,
head stony and willful,
an eye brown as a river and watchful:
a sentry a long way ahead
of a hard, dirty army of hooves.
---------------------------



If she tilts
her head
just so
in the golden shafts
of sun,
I can see
a lone hair
growing
on her chin.

I consider telling
her about it
but we’re in the middle
of a card game
and she’s winning
so I don’t want
to spoil
this time
we have together.

Later that night
after she has climbed
the stairs
one step at a time
carrying the weight
of eighty-one
years of laughter
and sadness,

I, too get ready
for bed.
I brush my teeth,
wash my face
and apply
a night cream.
The light
catches a glint
on the curve
of my chin
and I stand there
looking in the mirror
at my mother.

~Linda Jacobs
October 26, 2007

7 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

It does happen, doesn't it? All that talk about not being like her and suddenly...nice imagery and transitions.

Anonymous said...

Such a soft 'reflection'in this poem. And yes, you do resemble your Mom but your Dad also.
A.

Dale said...

Oh. Very nice.

Brian said...

this is a very nicely woven poem. thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like how this small observation turns into a poem and a reflection on self.

Anonymous said...

This is great! I could "see" the whole thing happening It reminded me of the time I've spent with me grandparnts and how people say that they can definly see how we're related

Jo said...

This is lovely and I totally relate!

Linda's Poems