Friday, October 19, 2007

TOP prompt for Oct. 18, 2007: The Door

On Hearing a Lute-Player
Your seven strings are like the voice
Of a cold wind in the pines,
Singing old beloved songs
Which no one cares for any more.

The Door

You open the door
after a week away
and the January air
slides in with you

wraps its arms
around my heart
in a bear hug
and tiptoes

up my spine
nestling into that space
just behind
my eyes.

I shut the door
that is now
just a screen
unable to protect

us from winter.

~Linda Jacobs
October 19, 2007

7 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

Love the layers and words in this! Re-reading it was fun and rewarding...

Dale said...

Oh. Very nice. Here's hoping it's not autobiographical, though :-)

paisley said...

burrrrrrr...it is only october,,, i don't want to be this cold yet!!!!!!

Andy Sewina said...

Wow! 'and tiptoes up my spine'
I can see this amazing image of a spiral staircase (a spinal staircase perhaps)
and the January air!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I can feel the chill of winter here

Anonymous said...

wow I atually shivered when I read "tiptoes up my spine" because that's exactly what it feels like and same with that place right behind your eyes

writerwoman said...

Love this part:
and tiptoes

up my spine


I got shivers at those lines.

Linda's Poems