Sunday, December 22, 2013

Finale for the Last Sunday Scribblings

Finale

Palm trees are sweeping
the clouds up
into piles of spilled sugar.

My husband is sitting
on the porch
listening to music

and drinking a beer.
It's 84 degrees
on this last Sunday

before Christmas.
I'm sitting inside
in the air conditioning

playing on my iPad,
trying to come up with
a poem about endings.

I see the colored lights
we have strung
along our roofline.

We'll be putting them
away soon. I see the wreath
I added sand dollars

and shells to. It will go back
in its box and slid
under the guest room bed.

I see the poinsettia
in the middle of white
petunias. I'll replace it

with something else
as soon as the holidays
are over. My husband

just finished one beer
and came in the house
to get another one,

music breezing in with him.
I go back to looking
out the window.

The palms are still cleaning
the sky. I'm still
writing this poem.

I hate to stop
because as soon as I leave
the link to it

on the Sunday Scribblings
site, that part
of my Sunday will be over.

I swallow the little lump in my throat
and, and, and...
put a period right here.





7 comments:

Berowne said...

Beautifully written, and rather moving...

Cressida de Nova said...

You write very well.Endings are always sad.Hope to see you at some of the other poetry sites.Merry Christmas!

Old Egg said...

I suppose I should start singing "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when..." We bloggers will find somewhere for sure.

Sancho said...

Yes, sad to see it go but there is still the beer on a warm afternoon...

Jae Rose said...

What a wonderful chain of thought spun into a lovely goodbye to Sunday Scribblings..so glad you came back to say goodbye..a few of us use Sunday Whirl..I do hope that might be a new place to write and meet up..happy Christmas to you (hope you had a beer too) ;)

miss pie said...

I LOVE this day....

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

It's a new year, and Sunday Scribblings 2 is a new place for prompts for writers of whatever genre. I was sorry to see Sunday Scribblings go, so I decided to continue the tradition. Each Wednesday, I will post a new prompt. At midnight Friday, you will be able to link your writing to this site: Sunday Scribblings 2

The prompt is up. Please join us!

Linda's Poems