Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday Scribblings: The Rest of the Story

The Rest of the Story

The clock is ticking
seconds away
one after another.

I try to catch the clicks
but they dissipate
into the past

faster than my hands
can grab. I've been
up early waiting

for the sunrise
but my living room
remains gray.

I could be cooking
breakfast, making
something special

for my husband.
I could be starting
the laundry.

I could be updating
my blog. Instead,
I sit on the couch

in a rainstorm of lost
seconds...oh, wait,
I just snatched

a few and they turned
into words, like pearls
that I'm stringing

together, a necklace
of not-so-wasted time
on a sunless morning.

I fasten it around my neck.
I'll wear theses moments
all day. The clock ticks on.

13 comments:

Nita Jo said...

I really love this piece. Perhaps because I can identify with it, with time slipping away. Especially loved the line... "they turned into words, like pearls that I'm stringing"
Beautifully descriptive!

keiths ramblings said...

A wonderful picture of passing time. Delightful.

Jae Rose said...

Words and time seem un-catchable in the 'real' world but once turned into words they are indeed treasures..wonderful write..it's good to want to catch the seconds..Jae

Flying Monkey said...

Nicely done. I enjoyed reading this.

Altonian said...

Very nicely done. I have been struggling to find words for a long time now. I'm gradually putting time and words together at last - hopefully the result will be as good as yours.

Josie Two Shoes said...

It was so good to see you here! This was beautifully written and such a perfect description for my Sunday mornings as well, I treasure those quiet moments before activity fills the day!

Josie Two Shoes said...

The imagery of words strung like like pearls is now imprinted on my mind... it is beautiful!!

Old Egg said...

Welcome back, we have missed you. What a great rhythm this has and what a joy to discover pearls like these.

Unknown said...

I like the poem, and I love the last stanza the most.

---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

totomai said...

capturing the passing time is always a gift :-)

Nara Malone said...

Sounds like most of my writing days, only told with lovely pearls of words you caught.

Jessica Cochran said...

Awesome!!! Very inspirational, like all your poems!

Archna Sharma said...

I think we can all relate to the nervous helpless feeling of time slipping away. Instead of ending up in an anxious frenzy, I'm happy that you strung the moments together and held on to them. I love the idea of excepting every moment as it is.

Very lovely.

Linda's Poems