Saturday, February 6, 2010

ReadWritePoem Mini Challenge #3

Neruda wrote lovingly and hauntingly about his home.  I picked lines from quite a few of his poems in Absence and Presence and tried to find house connections.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stone, nails, planks, tiles, all.
I built the house
of cement, iron, glass.

In my house, I have gathered together
curtains,
useless
objects,
bread, wine, stew,
hyacinths,
the curve of shoes,
spectacles,
brooms,
time.

I may move in and out of windows.
I seem to be alone and not alone.

Here, I shall be both lost and found.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is simple and lovely - Neruda was so good at praising the ordinary with his langauge.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

So gorgeous - and with that same paradoxical feeling of absence and presence. LOVE it!

Irene said...

I love the weight of the final couplet.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

This might be the best cento I've read yet. I like the simplicity of it.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant what you've used as the last line!

flaubert said...

Simple and beautiful! I really loved reading it.

Pamela

marinela said...

I enjoyed your lovely poems,excellently written :)

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

And from lines about his home, you've constructed the image of a home that is so full of things yet absence of people and presence. It reminds me of how I used to feel living in one of my old apartments. Nicely done.

-Nicole

Linda's Poems