Wednesday, June 3, 2009

3WW: Folly, Ordinary, Hostile

Sunlight eases itself into my classroom
and wraps around the students
sitting obediently reading Antigone.
The word “folly” is mentioned
several times describing
Creon’s disastrous decisions.

The person reading inevitably
pronounces it as “foley”
and I can feel myself

getting hostile. I think
What is so hard about this word?
Dolly, Molly, golly, jolly, Polly.

But folly becomes foley
like holy or holey or wholy
and I just want to scream.

Instead, I look at the morning
making it’s way over the bent
heads of the kids, turning them

from ordinary to golden
and swallow the annoyance.
“Good job! Thanks for reading.”

8 comments:

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

The innocence of youth and the mistakes they make. Good for you that you see them in golden light.

Andy Sewina said...

Phew, all this sunshine's getting to me, but it looks like it keeps you calm!

Tumblewords: said...

How perfect this is - perfect!

Anonymous said...

Oh,how I can relate--this last week of school has been just about the longest one of my life!

nice write, btw.

anthonynorth said...

Sunshine makes us forgive a lot of things.

gautami tripathy said...

How I relate! I wish I could see you teach!

mirror cracked from side to side

paisley said...

you know how to pick your battles,, and on that you should be commended... i like this piece...

Lynne said...

Hi Linda,

Super poem w/ 3WW.
I have felt that way when I've taught writing and when I was in practice as a Speech-Language Pathologist. Usually, I'm patient, but sometimes... and your captured that well here.
Did anyone pronounce Antigone like this: anti-gone (as in went), rather than rhyming with folly.
BTW, I used to go by my nickname "Gel."

Linda's Poems