Monday, April 7, 2014

Day 7: Hobby

My friend, Anne, sent a bunch of words in an email and this one popped out at me. Thanks, Anne!
-------------
Hobby

This morning's sky
looks like the background
to one of my journal pages
with streaks of yellow-pink

and white gesso. I feel
like I should be gluing
pictures on it and writing
the date with a Sharpie.

But, my Mead Composition
book has sat open on my desk
for almost a week, now,
and I haven't added anything

to it. I hear it calling my name
every time I walk by. Once, it reached
out and just about caught my arm.
I hurried on ignoring its whimper.

That's the thing about hobbies
for me: one at a time. Right now
it's poetry that wants doing.
Other times, my fingers itch

to press the shutter button
on my Nikon D70. Last month
my journal got the love. I painted
a background black and used

a shot glass to make white circles
which I decorated and filled
with my life. Today I watch
the sun rise and write.



No comments:

Linda's Poems