Wednesday, July 18, 2012

3WW: Feel, Shade, Tangle



I know there is a poem
resting in the shade
of my brain.

I can feel its shadow
lurking just
out of sight.

It's an angry thing,
a monster,
waiting for the right

moment to lumber
awake, stomp the ground,
untangle itself

from the branches
of sweetness
I've so carefully

arranged around it.
I hear it grunting,
feel the vibrations

of its snort, smell
the stink of its truth.
I peer at it,

try to bring it into
focus, but it slinks away,
that cowardly lion

of resentment.
Not yet, not yet, it says
but soon.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

14 comments:

Old Egg said...

Yes, they are like wild animals lurking and yet at times most unwilling to be caught or even tamed. Even after posting I tend to go back and tweak it a little to get it to perform better.

Jae Rose said...

I love this analogy..you write so beautifully and vividly it makes writers block seem like a source of inspiration in itself..maybe that poem did rear its head after all..jae

Laurie Kolp said...

Well, I think it has found its way!

Dandelion Girl said...

I often have the words stomping around in my head, just out of reach, like a petulant child or wild animal. I love the imagery you used to describe it :)

Sheilagh Lee said...

sometimes it is like that you want to express your feelings and its a jumble of words that won;t go together,

Sheilagh Lee said...

I love the feel of this poem and the expert way you wrote and put it all together,

joanne said...

Felt like a raging bull at first, then morphed to a cowering lion...nice

Daydreamertoo said...

Oh, I love the metaphors all through this. And, the words are like that at times aren't they. Waiting to pounce or, trickle out slowly, painfully.
Wonderful write.

Angel said...

Really enjoyed this piece. Great poem.

Anonymous said...

I understand this one very well!

Anonymous said...

wonderful, this portrayal of writer's block of just a poem
to shy to emerge as yet.

Anonymous said...

How it hurts when that piece that we know is in our head, fails to come forward. Great imagery

gabrielle said...

Sometimes they feel like wild beasts, elusive, and unknowable. I love how this poem itself becomes an open palm, an invitation.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Nicely done - like the tension at the end.

Linda's Poems