Monday, March 16, 2009

Poetry Train: Fortune cookies


I bought fortune cookies for my Poetry-Writing students and gave them each two. They had to begin a poem with one fortune and end with the other. This is what I wrote:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Fortunate Poem

“Your income will increase”
said the fortune cookie
and right away
I thought of winning
the lottery
and having all that
money.

But I know
what would happen.
My husband would want
and airplane
or two
and a new boat
and before I could blink,
we’d be in debt
and have tons
of bills.

No. I want
a different type
of income.
I want the richness
of poems.
I want bank accounts
of words.
I want an ATM card
that spews
ideas
and credit cards
with unlimited
creativity
because “the important
thing is to express
yourself.”

12 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Couldn't put it better myself. Infact, have you noticed that your required expenditure rises to meet your income?

Ana said...

I need an ATM card that spews ideas too.
Well done, and I like how the narrative line turns around...

gautami tripathy said...

Me too, me too!

lay in lace

Story Teller said...

Hello Linda,

Good Afternoon. I'm writing this to tell you about a new blog that I have started, called Tell a Tale. It’s a platform where one gets to write on a prompt, and attach it with that weeks prompt here. It’s about writing stories. A Story on the prompt, normally. I would like to tell you about it and would request you to pass on the information to your fellow bloggers, provided you like it.

I would suggest you to visit the blog and check it out. If you like it, please pass the information. I would like you to take an active participation in the same and be present there visibly.

Thanks for reading this. I will be waiting to see you there in the Blog.

Thanks and regards,
Story Teller :)

Tell a Tale

Sorry, your email ID was not available ... could not email you!

Anonymous said...

I love that fortune cookie idea, Linda! Awesome poem, too!

Tumblewords: said...

How clever to use fortune cookies as prompts! Love this poem - it's a natural progression of event!

Sherri B. said...

Wouldn't that be awesome? What a clever idea! I really enjoyed this. :~)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

What a dreamy idea!

Story Teller said...

Hey, Nice One!!
You write real well ... Hope to see you tomorrow at Tell a Tale, as it launches...
Be the first one to post your entry and accumulate higher points!

Anonymous said...

nice flow of thought!

Louise said...

Excellent! I'm always amazed by people who can write poetry.

Thanks for visiting my blog for the rainbow!

Sepiru Chris said...

Linda,

You spoke that words that many of us share. But you don't need; you have.

Tschuess,
Chris

Linda's Poems