Saturday, April 5, 2008

Day 4 NaPoWriMo

I wrote this poem in my head last night as I was listining to my aunt. I didn't get a chance to actually write the words out until today, though. Is that cheating?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Aunt Dotty sits
on her red couch
in front of a multi-
colored granny square
afghan.

When I ask, “How
did you and Uncle
George meet?"

a small sunrise
blossoms on her face.

She smiles and says,
“Well, my friend, Sarita,
and I were walking home
from downtown when

her brother pulled up
in his little coupe
and asked if we’d like

a ride. We said sure
and climbed in. The only
problem was that
there was no back seat

and her brother had
a friend with him.

So, Sarita climbed in
the middle and I sat
on George’s lap.”

Here her voice
gets deep and warm
as summer.

“After they dropped
me off, Sarita said
to George, ‘How’d

you like Dotty? Isn’t
she pretty?’ And George
answered, ‘Well, I couldn’t
see her face
but she has a soft
fanny.'”

The were married
for over 50 years.

10 comments:

paisley said...

oh... i tell you ,, i absolutely could have cried at this... this was so touching.. so real .. so intimate... i loved it....

Anonymous said...

Oh lovely, lovely, this is pure you and wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

I love it! This made me smile. What a memory of her "soft fanny." Very nice.

And no, it's not cheating to write in your head. Besides, it's the intent that counts. We have poems on the brain 24/7, right?

Great poem!

Anonymous said...

Sweet innocence..:)

*Wink wink*

wicked witch

Jessica said...

This is sweet and funny! Very well done!

Jeremiah's House said...

I liked this Linda. Good poem-ing.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee- too cute!
:)

Anonymous said...

You are lucky (or talented!) to be able to remember something you wrote in your head long enough to get it written down - my brain scrambles most things too quickly!

As for this one, when
"a small sunrise
blossoms on her face."
my whole office warmed up!

Deb said...

What a delight!

(And no, it's not cheating to write it in your head. It's a winner. Loved every bit of it.)

Anonymous said...

omg, that is soo funny! i'll have to read this one to my husband too!

Linda's Poems